Thursday 19 February 2026 - 21:56
Australia’s Largest Mosque Calls for Increased Security After Third Threatening Letter

Lakemba Mosque in south-west Sydney, considered the largest mosque in Australia, has called for increased security measures after receiving a third threatening letter in recent weeks, raising serious concerns within the Muslim community at the start of Ramadan.

Hawzah News Agency- Lakemba Mosque in New South Wales received the latest threatening letter on Wednesday, just hours before the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan.

Gamel Kheir, secretary of the Lebanese Muslim Association, which operates the mosque, said the repeated threats have caused growing anxiety within the community. He noted that many worshippers have been asking whether it is safe to attend prayers — a question he said no Australian should have to ask.

The most recent letter, seen by media outlets, included a hand-drawn image of a pig and a threat to kill the “Muslim race.” It also referenced the perpetrator of the 2019 Christchurch mosque attacks.

NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon confirmed that police have taken possession of the letter and launched an investigation. He said local officers, along with members of Operation Shelter, are patrolling the area and providing significant support to the Muslim community during Ramadan.

Earlier this month, the mosque received another letter depicting the building on fire. In late January, a separate threatening note targeting Middle Eastern and First Nations communities, as well as several political figures, led to charges being laid against a 70-year-old man, who remains before the courts.

Up to 5,000 people are expected to attend Lakemba Mosque each night during Ramadan, with as many as 50,000 anticipated on Eid. Mosque officials say they are not equipped to independently provide security for such large crowds and have formally requested government funding for additional security guards and CCTV cameras.

NSW Premier Chris Minns said it was essential that Ramadan be observed in a safe and secure environment, affirming that the government and police are committed to protecting the rights of all Australians to practise their faith freely.

Recent remarks by Senator Pauline Hanson suggesting there were no “good” Muslims have also drawn criticism. Some community leaders believe such comments may have inflamed tensions. Hanson later issued a partial apology.

Federal MP Jason Clare described the threats as appalling and terrifying, warning that heated rhetoric can have dangerous consequences. “We’re not just talking about words here. Recent history tells us that words can lead to violence'', he said.

Canterbury-Bankstown Mayor Bilal El-Hayek called the third letter in as many weeks “extremely serious'', citing a rise in Islamophobia and describing the current climate as frightening for many in the community. However, he said it was encouraging to see thousands continuing to gather at the mosque to pray.

Mosque representatives stressed that while increased security is necessary, addressing the broader issue requires clear condemnation of hate speech and a renewed commitment to social cohesion across Australia.

Source: RNZ

Tags

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
captcha